Wednesday 24 April 2013

Evaluation Question One

In what way does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



Masthead

First of all, I want to point out the masthead of my magazine. The title is 'Lights' for a reason; I felt as though the idea of artists' 'names in lights' was a great appeal towards the genre of my magazine. Taking concerts as an example; before you go into the venue, the artist's name is usually always mounted above the entrance in lights, with simple lettering, appealing to the audience below. To my audience, this will be a common aspect; they probably go to concerts regularly and will understand why I have named my magazine, Lights. Furthermore, the font which I used appealed to the original, retro theme of my magazine; through adding a deep-red outline against the white text, it contrasted against the grey background, enhancing my audience's senses in wanting to look at my magazine more. The masthead is in the centre, making it look important and professional, like Kerrang's masthead or Look magazine.

Style and Composition

The style is pretty obvious in my magazine; retro and rather quirky simplicity. Minimalism is a strong aspect of my magazine because it somewhat appeals to both genders, plus it gives off a professional outlook. Taking the fonts which I have used for starters, are very important as part of the outcome, as they contrast with the basic pop of red tones and monochrome colours which I have used throughout. The font for the masthead was taken from the website, 'Da Font', which allowed me to browse numerous themed fonts that would be suitable. I chose the theme, 'retro' and found 'Team Spirit'. I really liked how it was relevant to that of Slam Dunk festival's font, and the simplicity really caught my attention. Furthermore, for my 'Original Rock, Original Roll' title on my DPS, I used the font, 'Lemondrop', also found from the retro theme on 'Da Font'. On a whole, I found that the font generally was a very important aspect of my magazine; it added further emphasis on the composition and features included.
The composition is very basic, but that gives it a hint of added professionalism. It's apparent that throughout my magazine pages, I have tried to make the features stand apart from one another with enough space, and to not have sell lines for example, being over-crowded and difficult to read. This is important when attaining a smart look for my audience.

Styling and People

Obviously my main artist featured is myself, as I found it a lot easier to take a photograph of myself with my SLR and self-timer, than having to arrange a meeting with one of my friends to use a photograph of them, which can prove time-consuming and they may not even feel comfortable in doing so. Looking back at my costume ideas, I have stuck to these thoughts with the use of wearing a denim jacket on my front cover, and a checkered shirt on my contents and DPS pages. This hopefully lends to the overall simplicity, and general relaxed vibes that my magazine gives to the audience; I didn't want the model to be dressed up for a night out, with a short dress on for example or her hair done neatly. As you can see, I've delivered a pose which is neutral, but adds effect through the way I am holding my hair; giving off a relaxed, carefree persona.

Overall Genre

To people who weren't fans of my magazine, defining the genre may prove a little challenging. I have 'Ellie Rose' as a somewhat punk-pop, rock-vibe artist, whereas Ellie Goulding is featured in my magazine who is known for her electro-pop vibes with a bit of added guitar. My overall genre appeals to most people these days; I know for myself that tonnes of people won't stick to one genre in the music industry. They'll have genres probably ranging from drum and bass to a mix of rap and metal. My genre is equal to most people's music tastes; I have added difference in my theme therefore the genres will accustom to the vibes of music that's featured. I have nothing featured however, on totally generic boy-bands or artists who have some talent but are still overly famous because their music is mainstream. I didn't want that; the style of my music in the magazine varies, but they all have their own personas in the music industry, and I wanted to hint at my audience that difference is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment